Athearn N Scale: F89 Flatcar with 40-Foot Trailer - TTX 'Yellow' - w/ Burlington Northern TrailerPROTOTYPE AND BACKGROUND INFO:
Introduced in the early 1960s, the Trailer Train (now TTX Company) F89F flatcar has been a mainstay of contemporary railroading. A product of Bethlehem Steel Company’s (BSC) Johnstown, PA plant, over 9,000 of these (89’ 8” over the strikers) cars were built throughout the 1960s. Visually distinctive from other long flatcars of their era thanks to their “C” channel side sills, these versatile cars were adapted for many types of service and loadings over the years, ranging from Trailer-On-Flatcar (TOFC), to autoracks, to structural steel loading. While the majority went to Trailer Train, many were built for various railroads, typically for autorack service. Many were “de-racked” in later years, being reassigned and equipped for other service - TOFC, vehicle loading, pipe service, etc.
High level of detail ensures authenticity to the prototype. This Athearn N-scale model was designed from the start to incorporate as many prototype details and variations as possible, based upon field measurements and builder diagrams, in order to appeal to modelers of multiple eras. You can rest assured of its smooth performance, thanks to a heavy die-cast frame for reliable tracking, and our N-scale 70-ton ASF Ride-Control trucks.
Operationally, these cars are appropriate for any layout set from the 1960s to the present day.
FLATCAR MODEL FEATURES:
- Fully assembled and ready for your layout
- Etched metal roofwalks
- Flush-roof version
- Factory installed wire roofwalk grab irons
- Prototype specific details including flush or overhang roof and round or trough hatches
- Weighted for optimum performance
- McHenry knuckle spring couplers installed
- Minimum radius: 9 ¾”
- 40’ Fruehauf Z-Van Trailer
- Painted wheels
- Rubber tires
- Fully-assembled and ready to use out of the box
- Highly-detailed, injection-molded body
- Painted and printed for realistic decoration
- Window packaging for easy viewing plus interior plastic blister safely holds the model for convenient storage