Athearn N Scale: F89-F Bi-Level Auto Rack - SAL
Introduced in the early 1960s, the Trailer Train (now TTX Company) F89F flatcar has been a mainstay of contemporary railroading. A product of Bethlehem Steel Company's (BSC) Johnstown, PA plant, over 9,000 of these (89' 8" over the strikers) cars were built throughout the 1960s. Visually distinctive from other long flatcars of their era thanks to their "C" channel side sills, these versatile cars were adapted for many types of service and loadings over the years, ranging from Trailer-On-Flatcar (TOFC), to autoracks, to structural steel loading. While the majority went to Trailer Train, many were built for various railroads, typically for autorack service. Many were "de-racked" in later years, being reassigned and equipped for other service - TOFC, vehicle loading, pipe service, etc.
This Athearn N-scale model was designed from the start to incorporate as many prototype details and variations as possible, based upon field measurements and builder diagrams, in order to appeal to modelers of multiple eras. You can rest assured of its smooth performance, thanks to a heavy die-cast frame for reliable tracking, and our N-scale 70-ton ASF Ride-Control trucks.
Operationally, these cars are appropriate for any layout set from the 1960s to the present day. The Auto Racks would be fastened to the 89' flatcar for auto service from Detroit. The Athearn N-scale Auto Rack features a Bethlehem Steel F89FH with a Whitehead and Kales bi-level rack. High level of detail ensures authenticity to the prototype.
- Die-cast underframe
- Weighted for trouble free operation
- Athentic undulating safety railing
- Accurate Whitehead and Kales Auto Rack
- End bridge plates per prototype and era
- Use for dedicated intermodal trains or mixed freight
- Detailed deck
- Decorated models fully-assembled and ready to run out of the box
- Highly-detailed, injection-molded body
- Separately applied hand brake per prototype
- 70-Ton roller bearing trucks with 33" scale machined metal wheels operate on Code 55, 70, and 80 rail
- Body mounted McHenry operating knuckle couplers
- Clear blister packaging for easy viewing
- Minimum radius: 10"
- Recommended radius: 12"+