ExactRail HO Scale: Thrall 54' Coil Car - Conrail 'Patched Hood'
The Thrall 54’ 'Coil Shield' Coil Car is a signature prototype like few others.
In 1992, Conrail purchased a unique “well” style coil gondola, and they assigned it the car class G52S. Through 1995, Conrail sought additional orders and ascribed G52T, G52U and G52V car classes. In total, Conrail purchased nearly 750 “coil shields.”
These coil cars are one of the most recognizable—and quite frankly, one of the coolest freight cars of the contemporary era.
ExactRail has meticulously recreated the Thrall 54’ “Coil Shield” Coil Car in HO Scale. With great attention, we have accurately captured the details of the prototype. From the complex, exposed brake appliances of the B-end platform, etched metal walks with appropriate tread pattern, and the intricate multi-piece framework of the coil hood, this car will impress.
Norfolk Southern/Conrail 'Patched Hood'
After the split of Conrail to CSX & Norfolk Southern, the collection of Thrall 54' CoilShields were also split. The batch that into the hands of NS were largly left alone. However a few CoilShields ended up getting their logos patched out of the hoods. Also included on these two cars are conspicuity marks that would date the cars from about 2004 to present day.
- Factory installed Kadee #156 couplers
- Narrow-style draft box, featuring: shank wedges, striker casting and full nut and bolt detail
- ExactRail's exclusive ASF 100 ton 'Ride Control' trucks
- CNC-machined metal wheel sets with metal axles!
- Wire grab irons, brake rods, and coupler cut levers!
- Accurate painting and printing!
- Separately applied air hoses
- PRODUCT TYPE: Coil Car
- COUPLER TYPE: Kadee #156
- TRUCK TYPE: ASF 100 ton 'Ride Control'
- WHEELS: 36"
- ERA: 2004 to Present
- MINIMUM RADIUS: 22"
- REGION: Eastern
For additional available paint schemes click below: