Rapido Trains HO Scale: New Look Bus Standard - Los Angeles - LAMTA
The New Look Bus was the face of North American public transit in the latter half of the 20th century, with almost 45,000 built between 1959 and 1986. Everyone remembers the New Look, also known as the “Fishbowl” Bus. Amazingly, for a bus that had such an enormous impact on the urban fabric of our towns and cities, there have been surprisingly few models made of it.
The existing models – in 1/50 and 1/87 – suffer from serious dimensional flaws. The real New Look Bus was all about curves. The body cross section is fairly “tubular” with a pronounced curve to the whole side. The windows, similarly, are not straight. The ends have very distinct curves throughout. Yet every model to date has these areas dead straight. It means that the existing models were designed from rough two-dimensional plans and not from real blueprints.
New Look Bus comes in a standard version that is head and shoulders above any other bus model in 1/50 or smaller. Rivets, interior stanchions, separately-moulded seats, steerable front wheels – these are standard on all of our models. The deluxe version features painted seatback handrails and a full lighting package!
All Rapido New Look Bus models include:
- Correct tubular profile
- Full interior including separate seats with seatback handrails and grooved flooring
- Etched-metal interior stanchions and stamped-metal handrail
- Steerable front wheels
- Rubber tires
- Printed “metal” window frames
- Printed windshield gaskets (silver or black, as appropriate)
- Double-stream rear exit doors (first time ever in a mass-produced New Look model!)
- Three kinds of bumper (steel, water jug and REAL rubber)
- Standee windows or sheet metal panel as appropriate
- Optional air conditioning housing with etched-metal fan cover
- Optional etched-metal advertisement frames
- Optional rear window air intakes and high level exhaust
- Optional roof hatches, Sinclair antenna, microwave antenna, and cellular/wifi antenna
- Multiple route/destination decals
- Some liveries include license plate decals