Athearn Genesis HO Scale: GP9R - DCC Ready - CNW
- All-new LED lighting
- Rubber MU hoses for durability
The effort continues to enhance Athearn Genesis models per customer requests and feedback. There has been a lot of activity behind the scenes; we’re excited to include new features often requested, to the GP7/9 and upcoming Genesis models.
- Rebuilt GP9 body with chopped nose
- Winterization hatch
- Front small snowplow
- Per prototype: horn type, headlight style, battery box doors, axle bearing types
- Former commuter passenger unit; roof mounted air tanks, rear head-end lighting cabinet, 2400 gallon split fuel/water tank.
- Both raised and lowered drop steps included with model
- Leslie S-3LR horn on cab
- Bell mounted under front steps
- Watchman heater
- Xenon strobe (flashes on DCC/sound version)
- All-weather window on engineer’s side
- Former M&StL units
- Dynamic brake hatch with blanked grills
- Spark arrestors
- Bell mounted on top of long hood
- Western-Cullen beacon (flashes on DCC/sound version)
- Fixed drop steps
The Chicago and North Western’s Oelwein shops were known for turning out a variety of rebuilt locomotives. 74 GP7s and 55 GP9s were rebuilt between 1971 and 1981. As part of the process, dynamic brakes (if any) were deactivated, and many units received chopped noses. Engines and electrical equipment were also overhauled. Starting in the early 1980s, these units were painted using a lighter shade of yellow known as “Zito Yellow”, as depicted on our models.