Athearn Genesis HO Scale: EMD SD80MAC - DCC Ready - EMD
Presenting EMD’s 5,000HP 6-axle diesel in a whole new level of authenticity. Starting in 1995, EMD revived the 20 cylinder engine design, last seen in the SD45, and introduced the 5,000HP SD80MAC. Athearn is pleased to announce this locomotive in Genesis 2.0.
About the Prototype:
With the increase in available adhesion and tractive effort due to AC-traction technology, an unofficial horsepower race between the two dominant locomotive builders was on.
The SD80MAC was the first EMD locomotive to utilize a V20 engine since the SD45 series. For Conrail, the SD80MACs were the first AC-traction diesel locomotives on the roster. These locomotives became Conrail’s choice for handling long and heavy coal trains on their Pittsburgh and Boston Lines, also over their Allegheny Mountain routes in Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Virginia, and New York.
After the split-up of Conrail in 1999, the SD80MACs went to CSX Transportation, and Norfolk Southern. Eventually NS traded with CSX to acquire the remaining SD80MACs becoming the sole operator of these models to date.
EMD Specific Features:
- All lighting feature new LEDs
- Models equipped with marker lights will be illuminated
- Rubber MU hoses for durability
- All New Tooling
- Better than brass detail™
- DCC & Sound models contain full-feature Tsunami2 sound decoder by SoundTraxx
- DCC+Sound models will have dual cube speakers for high fidelity sound.
- Brand new model previously only available in brass
- Fully-assembled and ready-to-run
- DCC-ready features Quick Plug™ plug-and-play technology with 21-pin NEM connector
- Scaled from prototype resources including drawings, photographs, and more
- Accurately-painted and –printed paint schemes
- Coupler cut levers
- Rubber MU hoses
- Trainline hose
- See through cab windows
- Full cab interior
- Walkway tread
- Fine-scale Celcon handrails for scale appearance
- Windshield wipers
- Lift rings
- Wire grab irons
- Detailed fuel tank with fuel fillers, fuel gauges, & breather pipes
- Sander lines
- McHenry scale knuckle couplers - Kadee compatible
- Genesis driveline with 5-pole skew wound motor, precision machined flywheels, and multi-link drivetrain
- All-wheel drive with precision gears for smooth & quiet operation
- All-wheel electrical pickup provides reliable current flow
- Wheels with RP25 contours operate on all popular brands of track
- LED Lighting for realistic appearance
- Heavy die-cast frame for greater traction and more pulling power
- Packaging securely holds for the model for safe storage
Genesis 2.0 Features:
- Illuminated front and rear red marker lights
- Illuminated Ditchlights alternately flash per prototype w/ effect on DCC+Sound version
- Three–panel dynamic intake per EMD prototype
By integrating and pioneering some of the latest model advancements in the industry, Athearn is redefining model fidelity with Genesis 2.0.
- Etched, see-through walkway steps
- Illuminated number boards
- Illuminated ground lights
- DCC+Sound models feature dual Sugarcube speakers for optimal sound quality