Atlas Master - EMD GP40-2 - DCC Ready - Alaska
The GP40-2 was EMD’s follow-up to the very successful GP40 locomotive model. While many internal upgrades were introduced (such as the use of improved, modular Dash 2 electrical components), there were some external differences between the early production GP40-2 and late-production GP40. This included an engine water-level sight glass on the right side of the body (a feature common to all EMD Dash 2 models), a larger electrical cabinet air filter box, a lengthened battery compartment on the left side, and a slightly modified cab.
All GP40-2s featured a 16-cylinder EMD 645-series diesel engine which was rated at 3,000 horsepower. The early or “phase 1” GP40-2 was produced from mid-1972 through mid-1975. Most phase 1 units included features which were standard for EMD at the time: an 81” low nose and wire mesh radiator grilles. The first units built went to Rio Grande, but by far the largest purchaser was Chessie System with 147 units delivered during this period.
- Golden-white LEDs
- Realistic die-cast underframe
- Five-pole skewed armature motor with dual flywheels for optimum performance at all speeds
- Directional lighting
- Factory-equipped with AccuMate® knuckle couplers
- Detailed cab interior with crew
- Separately-installed scale windshield wipers, metal grab irons and fine scale handrails
- Movable drop steps
- Walkway safety tread
- Coupler cut bars
- Multiple unit hoses and trainline hoses
Additional features include:
- Etched metal radiator and dynamic brake fans (included where appropriate per road name).
- Dynamic Brake options: standard range, extended range or non-dynamic brake hatch used where appropriate per road name.
- 3,600 gallon fuel tank.
Analog (DC) Operation Features:
- The LokSound Select Dual-Mode decoder allows your Atlas Gold Series locomotive to be used on DC as well as on DCC layouts.
- Please note that the Atlas Quantum Engineer will NOT operate an Atlas Gold Series locomotive equipped with a LokSound Select decoder on an analog (DC) layout. However, the sound and lighting functions of the LokSound Select decoder in the Atlas Gold Series GP40-2 locomotive can be controlled by an easy-to-use basic DCC system
- Also note that on a DC-powered layout, a DCC and sound equipped locomotive (such as the Atlas Gold Series GP40-2) CANNOT be consisted with another locomotive that does not
also have both DCC and sound. (This statement does NOT apply to DCC-equipped locomotives operating on a DCC layout.)
AccuMate® couplers are made under license from AccuRail, Inc.