ExactRail HO Scale: Thrall 54' Coil Car - Norfolk Southern '1992 As Delivered'
The Thrall 54’ 'Coil Shield' Coil Car is a signature prototype like few others.
In 1992, Conrail purchased a unique “well” style coil gondola, and they assigned it the car class G52S. Through 1995, Conrail sought additional orders and ascribed G52T, G52U and G52V car classes. In total, Conrail purchased nearly 750 “coil shields.”
These coil cars are one of the most recognizable—and quite frankly, one of the coolest freight cars of the contemporary era.
ExactRail has meticulously recreated the Thrall 54’ “Coil Shield” Coil Car in HO Scale. With great attention, we have accurately captured the details of the prototype. From the complex, exposed brake appliances of the B-end platform, etched metal walks with appropriate tread pattern, and the intricate multi-piece framework of the coil hood, this car will impress.
Norfolk Southern '1992 As Delivered'
ExactRail adds another 9 numbers to their original run of Norfolk Southern Thrall 54' 'Protector' Coil Cars. Norfolk Southern received ‘Protector’ coil cars from Thrall in 1992. These cars shared the well-style body of the Conrail 54' Coil Shield; however, they were equipped with an insulated, aluminum hood of avant-garde styling.
- Factory installed Kadee #156 couplers
- Narrow-style draft box, featuring: shank wedges, striker casting and full nut and bolt detail
- ExactRail's exclusive ASF 100 ton 'Ride Control' trucks
- CNC-machined metal wheel sets with metal axles!
- Wire grab irons, brake rods, and coupler cut levers!
- Accurate painting and printing!
- Separately applied air hoses
- PRODUCT TYPE: Coil Car
- COUPLER TYPE: Kadee #156
- TRUCK TYPE: ASF 100 ton 'Ride Control'
- WHEELS: 36"
- ERA: 2005 to Present
- MINIMUM RADIUS: 22"
- REGION: Eastern
For additional available paint schemes click below: