ExactRail HO Scale: Bethlehem 3483 Hopper - Chicago & North Western '1966 - As-Delivered'
In volume 4 number 3 of the Prospector, The Rio Grande Historical Society published “if one had to pick THE [sic] signature freight car of the Rio Grande in its final quarter century, it would undoubtedly be the 100 ton quad hopper from Bethlehem Steel Car.” The Rio Grande railroad placed 13 separate orders for the 3483. These orders totaled 2,795 cars.
Hill railroads also purchased the Bethlehem 3483 in quantity. The Great Northern received 100 cars in an attractive, utilitarian paint scheme with the Great Northern moniker. The Burlington railroad placed six separate orders for a total of 1,370 cars. These cars were delivered in both the “Monogram” and Helvetica, “Pre-Merger” paint schemes. When the Hill lines merged in 1970, these cars were repainted in the image of the new corporate identity, Burlington Northern.
ExactRail has tooled an exceptionally accurate model of the Bethlehem 3483 hopper! And with this release, we are proud to introduce an all-new HO scale draft box. This draft box better approaches scale dimensions, has accurate striker contours and appropriate key detail—unprecedented from a major manufacturer. And, ExactRail’s Bethlehem 3483 Hopper is factory delivered with Kadee couplers.
About the Chicago & North Western '1966 - As-Delivered' Paint Scheme:
In 1966 the Chicago & North Western received 165 Bethlehem 3483 Hoppers numbering 63000-63164. These featured a large yellow placard designating these cars for UNIT TRAIN SERVICE ONLY and were initially assigned to shuttle coal from Peoria to Waukegan, IL. In the early 1970s, it appears the cars were no longer in this service only and could be seen wondering about in the midwest. In the early 1980s many of these cars began to be repainted into various paint schemes.
- Unparalleled attention to letter accuracy and placement.
- ExactRail’s equalized 100 ton ASF Ride Control Trucks
- Machined metal wheel sets and axles
- Kadee ® #158 “scale” couplers
- Narrow-style draft box, featuring: key detail, shank wedges, striker castings and full nut and bolt detail
- CNW versions include: Single door Wine locks, center sill brake rod, & etched metal slack adjuster
- Numerous separately applied details, including: double door Wine locks, brake levers, bell cranks, air hoses and brake appliance details!
- Wire coupler cut levers, grab irons, brake rods and lever hangers!
- 2 Load Styles included with each hopper!
Scale: HO Scale
Product Line: Platinum Series
Coupler Type: Kadee #158
Truck Type: ExactRail ASF 100 Ton Ride Control Trucks
Wheels: CNC-Machined 36" wheels
Era: 1966 - 1980's
Comes with 2 coal load styles!
With the ExactRail Bethlehem 3483 Hopper you will receive 2 different coal load styles! We think that these hand shaped loads are some of the most accurate representations of flood and heap style coal loads available. Learn more about them HERE.